Saturday, September 25, 2004

The ole "Hoopie" dad talked about often....


The one picture that did not make it into the pics for Dad's photojam.. some day I will fix that, I hope.
Dad and Carlyle Troubant went to Galveston, TX in this ole Hoopie.. from Okarche, OK. for a bit of a Senior trip, in 1937, when Dad was 19. His father died later that Fall I believe. Carl was the son of a preacher at Mt. Zion United Brethren Church at El Reno, and he and Dad were life long friends. The trip to Galveston was 550 miles via interstate highways.. not sure how much longer via old roads, and if you notice.. there was NO top! No protection from the rain, sun, other cars, etc! And I can still remember so clearly him telling about this big event in his life... two guys, open car, open road, sunburn, headaches, windblown, distance, etc.... I am sure that besides the marriage to my mom... this was like ... second in his memory collection!!! Usually about once a year we heard of this.. one year, Cousin Leon and wife Nita went to lake with her parents and Leon came home so sunburned he had to go to the field in a dress to plow... cause jeans hurt so bad to put on.. oh yes, I remember... the stories... life's foundation! Enjoy..

(photo by stan click to enlarge)

No comments: