Saturday, December 11, 2004

I wanted to share this with family, as it is very special ..... about Fred O Shaklee, Harold O Shaklee's father!

From: Jerry and Connie LaGrow
To: Stan and Ann Shaklee

Got your email and will forward what I know later this weekend. Grandma's father's (Isaac J. Ward) barn is still standing east of North Enid. When I was a child he had this huge draft horses. His house was built back into a hill. You went in on the ground level and went out the back upstairs. There was a large wooden slat hammock swing between two trees in the front on the west of the house. I don't remember how old I was when he died but I do remember him and going to his house. Grandmother Shaklee (Ida Edith Ward Shaklee, Fred O's Wife, and Harold, Don, Mervyn, and Thelma's Mom) was the oldest of 4 or 5 girls and one brother. Grandma Edith was Grandpa's second wife. His first (Jessie L.Stebbins) died in child birth and her baby is buried in her arms in the cemetery in Enid. I have found the grave! Gm. had one sister that looked like her, Alma, she lived in Yukon and was probably closer to her than the others. There was Aunt Ethel, Aunt Maud Johnson, Aunt Mae, and Uncle Fred. Gm. loved to quilt and always had a quilt in her living room. She was the janitor of the Methodist church for years after Grandpa died and she lived in a house in Jet. She was a member of the Saline Lakeside Home Demonstration club. She was known in the church for her hot rolls and in the family for her macaroni and cheese. Gm. was a supporter of Oral Roberts and I took her over to the prayer tower once and she was awed by the sight of it and put her hand on the wall and said, "And to think that I helped build this with my offerings." She took a lot of flack from the family for her belief in his miracles.
Gm. also bought a lot of the small hymnals in the church with her tithe money. I saved one back for each of my kids with her hand writing in it. Gm.'s faith in her Savior made quite an impression on me! I can remember staying all night with she and Gp. and they always had their evening devotions before retiring to bed together and knelt on their knees beside their chairs for prayer.
She had one other child just slightly older than me but died when she was 5 years old. Her name was Mildred and is buried beside Gp. and her.
I will try and get some more information and mail it later. I hope this is what you kinda of wanted. I'll get her birth and death date later. If you have any information you could share with me I would appreciate it also about her or Gp. *Connie

*(LaGrow, Harold Shaklee's brother Don's oldest daughter, and Granddaughter of Fred O. Shaklee. Rec'd on 12/10/2004.)

No comments: